Malawi illuminated!

"CLTS yabweretsa mgwirizano"- CLTS has brought togetherness

Saturday, June 12, 2010

a question of medicine june 4

I have been asked for medicine three times since arriving. The first time, I was at the borehole drawing water when a woman approached me, said "mankhwala" and pointed at her elderly friend sitting on a porch nearby. I didn't understand so I went to chat with the old woman and she motioned that her head was in pain. I imagined two things happening if I gave her medicine 1) I become the village pharmacist and 2) I assist her in feeling better and that's the end of it. Because I didn't know the family at all and because I had about 20 people hovering around me, I chose not to give her medicine. I told her to drink lots of water and later in the afternoon I saw her resting.

The second time was merely for medical advice, to which I said that I was not educated in medicine and could not help.

The third time was last night at my house. I came home late from work to find Edina, my 2.5 year old host sister, lying on the floor wrapped in a blanket. This is not out of the ordinary because she's usually zonked by the end of the day, but this time she wasn't sleeping. She looked at me and I saw that her left eye had swollen up as if she'd been a wild streetfight. I asked Monica, my host mom, what was the matter. "Adwala" was her response- She is sick. "Adwala ndi Chyani?"- Sick with what? She said malaria, but it turns out whenever anybody is sick around here they say it's malaria but I didn't figure that out until later. She told me they will go to the hospital tomorrow and because meds are free (until they run out) and she was way calm, I wasn't worried and figured Edina would make it out like a real trooper.

Shortly after that, Edina started wailing and Monica finally looked at me and said "Mankhwala"- Medicine, got it. I stopped dead in my tracks and thought "of course, absolutely, completely, I'll give you any medicine I've got". I went to my bag, got the malaria meds and handed them over. She said "Ayi"-No and handed them back to me. Then she picked up some sand from the floor and motioned it in Edina's eye, "Asewera"-She was playing. Okay! Great! Not malaria. Check.

We looked in my meds bag and I had nothing to reduce swelling so I gave Edina 1/3 of an advil as a placebo and she stopped crying.

This whole shenanigan made me think: how far will I go to change the perception of westerners?

I may not be rich in Canada, but comparatively, I'm a millionaire here. How can I honestly tell people I have nothing to give?

In this case, these people are taking care of me, wiping the dirt from my collar, preparing feasts every night to fatten me up, putting up with me as I learn Chichewa, feeding me groundnuts and potatoes from their garden and years worth of work. I don't care about the perception of westerners in my own home. If someone is sick, I will help them out. If they need candles and would never ask, I'm going to pick some up on the way home from work. I will give anything to them in return for their love and hospitality.

2 comments:

  1. These are very difficult situations and i think you are tackling the challenges admirably. i think that you are definitely not responsible for helping everyone, but where you can, you must do what feels right - western stereotypes aside (as you say).

    If i have any regrets from my time in Ghana is that i spent too much time and effort trying to break stereotypes that i was not wealthy and did not have endless things to give. in the end, i learned there is nothing wrong with showing kindness and generosity to those around you who give so much when they have so little. a few thoughtful (and inexpensive) gifts and gestures can go a long way. i.e. some beads from the market, some fruit for a snack, your laugher and your company, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Engineers Without Borders Canada - Ingenieurs Sans Frontieres Canada
University of Guelph Chapter
Copyright 2010

The views on this blog are entirely my own and do not represent the views of EWB Canada.