Malawi illuminated!

"CLTS yabweretsa mgwirizano"- CLTS has brought togetherness

Saturday, June 12, 2010

naming the baby.

I didn't know she was pregnant until Pearson told me that Monica was going to come with me to the hospital to use the maternity scale. My response- Wicked! I figured she was at most 6 months. I don't quite understand because when I first met Pearson I asked him if they were going to have more kids and he said no. This is an example of when our English communication fails- which it does often.

Yesterday, Monica was feeling sick in the morning and I didn't think anything of it. I came home for lunch and all of the neighbourhood kids swarmed me. They usually meet me on the path, take my bag from my back, book from my hand and sweater from my arm and carry them to the house with me, but the kids were screaming "chimwene" and I was like "no dudes, I'm not your brother." I seriously didn't get it. Then Annettie said chimwene and pointed to Edina. Finally I clued in. I grabbed little Lenesia with both arms and flung her up in the air and then gave high fives all around. I was so excited that my family was having a baby!

I went to the market on the way back to work and bought Monica a chitenge and some banana biscuits for Edina (she's addicted). I saw Monica the next morning at the hospital, gave her the chitenge and she asked me what I ate for breakfast and dinner. "Yes mom, I had potatoes for breakfast and rape ndiwo for dinner. I'm very full."

I came home for lunch and Monica was already at home laying on the eating room floor with the baby and Pearson and Edina hanging out around them. I asked what his name was and then Pearson said "what do you want it to be?"

Oh god. I was warned about this. I kinda freaked out a little. No way, man! I can't name your son. No no no no no. No way! This kid is going to be around for the rest of your lives! You're going to have to say this name 3 bizillion times in your lifetime! You have to name him! I guess people don't think of baby names until after they are born here. Totally weird.

I guess they weren't joking because when I came home from work the baby still didn't have a name. So I started nervously brainstorming. At first I started thinking of beautiful Chichewa words- moon, star, dream, love, peace. Apparently those are all girl names and they wanted a Canadian name. So I wrote down every boy name in my Canadian family, then the name of every boy I'd ever gone to school with, then my favourite directors, then musicians. I made a list and read them to Monica and Pearson, watching Monica's face closely for a reaction.

We settled on Thomas. He looks like a Thomas. I think it's a kickass name. when i held him the first time, pearson told me that I looked smart, as if he were my own. they use that expression here a lot.

Pearson, Monica, Edina and Thomas. What a stellar family.


2 comments:

  1. Wow!! Holy smokes! What an experience to be a part of!

    Its funny this happened to you, because I've been naming some babies lately. Of course, they are all imaginary babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jason?? you couldn't come up with Jason!! Well done sounds like you are having a great time

    ReplyDelete

Engineers Without Borders Canada - Ingenieurs Sans Frontieres Canada
University of Guelph Chapter
Copyright 2010

The views on this blog are entirely my own and do not represent the views of EWB Canada.