Malawi illuminated!

"CLTS yabweretsa mgwirizano"- CLTS has brought togetherness

Monday, May 24, 2010

May 22- lessons from the first day.

Key learnings/realizations from today:

People will laugh at me when I try to speak Chichewa. Even if they are fluent in English, have confidence no matter what.  Some people from the village we encountered do not speak English well and in order to hear their stories, learning the language is very important.

Bartering tip: say "No, I can get it over there for much less," and then offer a price.

I am officially everyone's sister- "Hey sister"

For a country without garbage collection, it's not as polluted as I expected. Garbage is gathered on the ground and burned in communities. Sometimes you drive past the odour of burning plastic and you can see fires in the distance, but the air isn't too bad and the grass is as green as it gets. My exposure to the country is not too great yet, and I'm sure I'll be talking about this more.

12% of Malawians tested for AIDS is positive. A 51 year old woman named Grace talked to us tonight about AIDS. She is living positively and is a leader in her community for admitting she's positive as there are many misconceptions and stereotypes about getting tested and being positive. She talked to us about how it is transmitted, perceived, treated and also about the ABCS: Abstain, Be faithful, and use a Condom. I left this session feeling hopeful because she is such a powerful woman who is leading by example and feeling like if there are more people like her, that AIDS can be overcome. I never imagined hearing about AIDS from an African, but it was a very powerful moment.

I am a little bit upset that I'm not working yet.  We were having dinner tonight as a big group and I looked around and realized that it's almost been a month since school ended and I'm extremely eager to finish training and start my job. This is partly due to the volcano and partly due to having enough time to train the group going to Ghana, and I can totally understand why logistically this makes sense, but I want to get to work! That's not to say that I'm not enjoying my time where I am and in this company, I just feel guilty.

 The market isn't half as stressful as I expected. It's actually extremely exciting.

Key questions from the day:

Why am I embarrassed when I tell someone I'm working for an NGO?

How is the water monitored and treated in Lilongwe (the capital city)?

When will people stop yelling Mzungo (white person) at me? Answer: Never.

How can I connect my chapter to what I'm doing? I ask this question every day. I'll probably sit down and do some real strategizing in a week's time when I'm in the village without electricity J. If you guys have any tips, pass them on!

What will my village be like? Who will I live with? How will I integrate? What will the food be like? Will I have my own bed?

Stories:

The market is a collection of wooden posts and tin sheets, muddled together into a configuration of outdoor shops and paths. I was walking in a narrow path on red soil and a man sleeping on a pile of blankets he was selling saw me and shot straight up onto both his feet and said "white body white body". It amazed me how fast that sleeping man stood up.

A couple stops down from his were stacked wire crates full of chickens. Some of them looked like they were in rough shape and I felt bad that they were cooped up in that heat waiting to be purchased and then… I ordered chicken tonight at a restaurant for the protein and I knew I was eating those chickens. Somehow, I don't feel too guilty about it though. Eating meat here is completely different than in Canada.

I'm feeling very happy. I've had an obsession with Africa for four years now and I couldn't possibly be happier in this place. I am in absolute heaven and can't wait to learn more of the language. Today we learned lots of Chichewa. I'll write a lesson for you, but for now, I will leave you with sigulabwino (have a good day). I am eager to get to work and a little nervous about moving to the village. I am much less nervous about meeting my co-workers and host family now that I've met a handful of Malawians and know how nice they are.  I wish I could share it all with you. I am going to try!

Love and kittens,

Kate

 


 

3 comments:

  1. Hello!

    too funny. your stories paint vivid images in my mind skate. i feel as if i am there.

    i felt the same embarassment that you are speaking of when i was working for IDE. i never thought about why. I guess i will have to now.

    tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sister!
    Interesting post! I'm really curious to see your answers to your questions. And curious to see why both Tony and you feel embarassed when telling someone that you are working for an NGO. Do you guys feel the same way in Canada when talking about EWB? or Habitat for Humanity?

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it was necessarily the NGO itself but the privilege to do so. It kept coming back to me as what do I really have to contribute in this kind of environment. In my eyes, with my education, I had not much else in terms of knowledge on the specific subject than other people I encountered who were from the area. I would have felt less embarrassed if it was to say watershed management or road construction in which i had real experience and a previously developed understanding. In regards to market facilitation I felt that I knew as much or less than many Zambians I met while on the job or in my community. Yet at the same time my skills gained through my previous experiences were valuable but I don't think I fully realized that during my time there.

    tony

    ReplyDelete

Engineers Without Borders Canada - Ingenieurs Sans Frontieres Canada
University of Guelph Chapter
Copyright 2010

The views on this blog are entirely my own and do not represent the views of EWB Canada.