Malawi illuminated!

"CLTS yabweretsa mgwirizano"- CLTS has brought togetherness

Monday, August 2, 2010

work woes.

I’ve been feeling demotivated with work lately for two reasons 1) because of the way the triggering event went down and 2) because we’re waiting for follow up money to come in and it’s been two weeks since the triggers.

It could have been so great.

I went to the district assembly’s office to urge them to bring the money and forms (which has actually been released, they just won’t drive it to Mkanda) but the head honcho boss, District Water Officer, won’t do it. There is money for fuel and he has a car for this purpose but he just won’t come here. I feel like the 66 villages we triggered last week haphazardly have completely forgotten the trigger meeting now that there haven’t been any follow ups for 14 days.

Sometimes I feel like, under these circumstances, we can’t make any change at the field level. The District Water Officer (government level) just doesn’t care about CLTS and money isn’t coming anytime soon. My time’s almost up and the program is stagnant because of delayed funding. This isn’t even the fault of the task force, this is the fault of the District Water Officer-the government! The volunteers are rockin’ out in Mkanda!

Documentary Project
To make up for work woes, I’ve been focusing on my documentary project.
My project is to get the life story of 10 Malawians on video. So far, I’ve interviewed 4 and the interviews have averaged 45 minutes. Sadly, under my time restriction and language limitation, I’ve only been interviewing English speaking Malawians, which means that my demographic is educated Malawians. I would love so much to get the life stories of some of my village friends on tape, but it just seems impossible considering my electrical and language limitations.

I’m really excited about this project and it’s been helping me deal with my lack of influence at work.

These are two of the people I’ve interviewed. Frank and his gaggle of grandchildren and Viscia with her two sons.





I can’t wait for you to meet these people on youtube!

Love kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Engineers Without Borders Canada - Ingenieurs Sans Frontieres Canada
University of Guelph Chapter
Copyright 2010

The views on this blog are entirely my own and do not represent the views of EWB Canada.