Malawi illuminated!

"CLTS yabweretsa mgwirizano"- CLTS has brought togetherness

Monday, August 2, 2010

photo moto.

Hey dudes!

I found fast internet so it's time for another photo update!



This is a choir practice in the village. I tend to go to a lot of choir practices because I love them so much but can’t actually participate because I don’t know the lyrics. However I know one song-

Towee yatsala pang’ono, (the time is short)
Olendila jesus, (to be received by jesus)
Lembe lero ku mwamba (today we go to heaven)

I think they’re sick of me singing it but it’s better than Malawian pop music (Mal-POP) which we also sing quite a lot.



This is my main mode of transport from Mkanda to the boma. Sometimes I get a pickup, rarely a minibus, but the best days are when you score a lorrie because it’s roomy and a lot higher than a regular vehicle so you get a nice view of the Malawian hills.



Some kidaboos playing around in the maize. I was having the worst day in the history of being in Malawi and I came home early from work because I knew my family would make it all better. We ended up having an incredible time shelling maize and I completely forgot about everything except how much I love these people.



It's common to light fires in fields here and that evening (after maizing it all day), the kids took a match and lit the pile of husks in the back yard. As you can see, the fire was epic and children are far too close to it because they are immune to heat.



The ladies don't look too happy but shortly before this photo was taken, I was having a tickle war with them and they were wrestling each other for knee rights. Something about a camera makes Malawians wipe the smile from their face, even three year olds.



Hahahaha. I bought a small bag of lollipops for the kids and one afternoon I gave them to Lene and Edina and then figured since I want one and I'm not a kid, the women probably want one too. So I brought them out and we enjoyed lollipops on the porch with the village as our scenescape. Little things like this are such luxuries.



SUPERHEROES. Nuf' said.

Until next time,
love kate

1 comment:

  1. Karate Chop!

    I like the images Kate keep em coming if you can. That fire did look epic, I'm jealous I love fires. I'm happy to hear you have become so close with your Malawian family.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete

Engineers Without Borders Canada - Ingenieurs Sans Frontieres Canada
University of Guelph Chapter
Copyright 2010

The views on this blog are entirely my own and do not represent the views of EWB Canada.